Sunday 1 March 2015

FILM REVIEW: Iron Man 3 - Screenwriting

My daughter and I share a love of superheroes and love films like The Avengers, X-Men and Iron Man. This means that most weekends, we watch some form of action film as a way to spend time together. We own some of these films and they are watched repeatedly but are enjoyed all the same every time. Recently, my daughter and I watched (for the 50th time) Iron Man 3 and so I decided this would be the film that I would write a review about for the first time on this blog.

Iron Man 3

Iron Man 3 was directed by Shane Black and produced by Kevin Feige and was released in 2013. The lead character is Tony Stark who is played by Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man 3 is the third film in the trilogy of Iron Man films. All films in this trilogy are a mixture of CG (comuter generated effects) and live action.

Synopsis
Iron Man 3 is set just after The Avengers film that Iron Man starred in as well. Tony Stark has insomnia after coming home from fighting with The Avengers to save the world. In this time, Tony has developed the latest prototype for the Iron Man suit. Big explosions happen all over Los Angeles and a terrorist leader using the name Mandarin claims resposibility.Tony Stark challenges Mandarin which results in Tony Stark's home being destroyed. This leaves him with nothing but a faulty prototype suit to find out who is behind the attacks, so that he is able to save the world and most importantly the woman that he loves.

Marvel Logo with characters

I love action films and this particular genre is among my top five favourite genres, so naturally I loved this film. I especially loved it because of Iron Man. As I wrote earlier, my daughter and I are superhero fanatics (I forgt to add we especially love Marvel characters) and Iron Man is one of our favourites. I have watched this film many times but I still feel the same when I watch it. At the beginning of the film I feel concerned for Tony Stark and slightly annoyed about the predicament he is currently in. When Tony Stark challenges the terrorist, I feel excited about the action that I know will happen as a result of the challenge. From this point on in the film, I feel excitement, wonder and warm fuzzies from some of the small touching moments in the film. I am also amazed at the technical things in the film. Last year, I completed a degree majoring in animation and I have a new appreciation for all the hard work that goes into the CG in a film like this. The CG in this particular film is a source of interest for me because I have only done basic things and the CG in this film is much more complex.

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, the man in the suit - Iron Man

My favourite character in this film is the lead character - Tony Stark (Iron Man) because without Tony Stark there would be no Iron Man. Tony Stark is not only the person who builds the Iron Man suit but he is essentially the man inside the suit making him Iron Man. I like the way that Tony Stark is a straight up, intelligent man who just seems to speak his mind in an intelligent manner and without stepping carefully around the actual issue. He is just straight to the point and anything that he says in an arguement, he can back up based on his knowledge. Some people (in the film) do not like his approach but he just does not care what anybody else thinks about him with one exception - his wife, Pepper Potts. He also has a soft. loving side too, which is shown in the film when he chooses to put his wife into his newest Iron Man suit to protect her and the lengths he goes to for her safe rescue. It shows that he is a straight up prick but that he is a loving man and husband as well.

There were never really any moments during the film where I disengaged with it. There's heaps of action and twists and turns to keep the audience engaged and because I like Iron Man and the CG effects in the film that was enough to keep me interested the entire time.

The strengths of the film were the CG effects and the Tony Stark/Iron Man character. These two things stood out to me in this film for reasons that I have already discussed. The weaknesses were the story seemed way more complex than it needed to be and the antagonist group were poorly developed because they seemed disconnected to the whole story and didn't seem to fit in and make sense anywhere.

Iron Man 3 is the best film out of the trilogy because who doesn't like a film that has every kind of different Iron Man suit one could ever imagine, show up in it all at the same time?! I love Iron Man, so I would recommend this film to anyone who enjoys action films, Marvel characters or anyone who is interested in VFX (visual effects)/CG.  

The suits assemble for war! (screenshot)

1 comment: