Wednesday 3 June 2015

Inverse What? Week: 6th April - 12th April

I am sooooo busy with the group project at the moment that i have not had much time to do anything to do with cinematography. However, I have managed to do some more research on the inverse square law. As I have said previously, this topic is mind boggling but I think I am slowly coming to terms with it - I mean SLOWWWWLLLLYYYY!!!!!



The definition that I have found to describe the inverse square law and it's application to cinematography is: "The intensity of illumination is proportional to the inverse square of the distance from the light source."
The inverse square law applies to cinematography in relation to lighting and I have deciphered the above statement to mean that the inverse square law is a formula for the intensity of light over distance. This means that light becomes less intense the further away it is moved from the subject. That's as far as I have researched about it so far, although I have peeked at the next bit of research which is something to do with lighting ratios, so I guess that will have to be next week's mission. For now the inverse square law will have to wait while I go and be a producer, caterer, runner or whatever other position may need filled on set for our group project!

Light intensity

-


1 comment: